The Mediterranean lifestyle is known as one of the healthiest ways of living.
From the fresh vegetables to good-quality olive oil and fresh fish, this is certainly a drool-worthy way of eating.
Followed by Greeks, Italians and the Spanish, this focus on fresh and high quality ingredients is incredibly tasty and something you can easily enjoy at home! Try some of these fantastic recipes using your BBQ and you will quickly become an advocate of this lifestyle.
Mediterranean grilled lamb chop with tomato mint quinoa
Total Time: 35 minutes
This easy Mediterranean grilled lamb chop recipe is perfect if you’re looking for a quick and easy meal. Serve it with a tasty tomato mint quinoa to give it an extra bit of flavour!
FOR THE LAMB
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground green cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp hot paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- Olive oil
- 2 frenched racks of lamb, fat trimmed, separated into chops (about 16 chops)
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- 1 small yellow or red onion, sliced
FOR THE TOMATO MINT QUINOA
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 can tomato diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves, more for garnish
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup Greek yogurt for the side
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic and spices with 1 tbsp fresh mint leaves and 2 tbsp of olive oil. This makes a rub for the lamb.
- Take the lamb chops and rub them on both sides with the spice rub. Place the chops in a deep dish with 2 tbsp olive oil, lemon juice and the sliced onions. Cover and leave in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Minutes before grilling, remove the lamb chops from the fridge and begin to cook the quinoa. Cook the quinoa according to the package, adding a dash of salt and olive oil to the cooking water.
- In a non-stick pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil on medium-high. Lower the heat to medium and stir in the chopped garlic. Cook ever so briefly and then add the canned diced tomato. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Now stir in the cooked quinoa. Once warmed through, add the chopped fresh mint. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- Time to grill the lamb chops! On a high heated gas grill, grill the lamb chops for 6-7 minutes, turning over once.
- When ready to serve, transfer the quinoa to serving bowls and top each with a portion of the finely chopped red onions, feta cheese and more fresh mint leaves for garnish. Serve 2-3 lamb chops over the quinoa bowls with a side of plain Greek yogurt.
Open-faced grilled Caprese sandwich
Total Time: 34 minutes
Make your own tasty grilled Caprese sandwich with this simple, flavour-filled recipe!
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound Francese or ciabatta loaf
- 12 ounces Stella Fresh Mozzarella
- 2-3 vine-ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add the cup of balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat when the balsamic has reduced by half. Move to another container and let cool. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Peel and mince or crush the garlic and add it to the olive oil in a measuring cup or small bowl. Add in the salt and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Slice the bread horizontally to create two flat pieces for your open-faced sandwich. If the top is too rounded to lay flat on a surface, slice off a thin layer.
- Slice the tomatoes and fresh mozzarella into even-sized rounds.
- Thinly slice the basil leaves, creating a chiffonade.
- Preheat the grill over medium-high heat.
- Add the bread to the grill, close the lid, and toast 1-2 minutes per side. Remove from heat.
- Reduce the heat on the grill to medium.
- With the toasted bread sliced side up, assemble with cheese and tomatoes. Top with basil.
- Return the open-faced sandwich to the grill, close the lid, and let cook for 8-10 minutes, until the cheese has melted, the tomatoes and basil have softened, and the bread has toasted.
- Remove from heat and slice into six rectangular pieces to serve as a main dish or 12 squares to serve as an appetiser.
- Lightly drizzle with some balsamic reduction and serve.
Garides souvlakia (skewered srawns)
Total Time: 30 minutes
If seafood is more your style, check out this tasty skewered prawn recipe from omgfood.com!
- 1 pound raw wild shrimp
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup freshly grated kefalotiri or parmesan
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- If grilling, start by placing some wooden skewers in water and let soak for at least 20 minutes (depending on the skewer size, you want 3-4 shrimp per stick).
- If the shrimp is frozen, defrost it by placing it in a bowl and running it under cold water for five minutes.
- Peel and de-vein the shrimp. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil.
- At this point, the skewers should be all set (unless you are super fast at peeling and de-veining shrimp, in which case wait it out for the 20 minute mark).
- Dip the shrimp in the dressing and roll it over the cheese, coating it evenly. Place 3-4 shrimp on each skewer. Season the shrimp with some salt and black pepper.
- Preheat your grill over medium-high heat (or if broiling, preheat on high).
- Cook shrimp for 1-3 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Remove from heat and top with minced parsley. An optional step is to add some more lemon!
- Serve and enjoy!
Mediterranean eggplant salad
Total Time: 40 minutes
This stunning Mediterranean Eggplant Salad will leave your hunger satisfied and your taste buds tingling. It works perfectly as a side salad for a summer BBQ, or grilled chicken or fish!
- 1 large eggplant
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon za’atar
- 3 beefsteak tomatoes, diced (about 3 cups of diced tomatoes)
- 1 bell pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- 5 green onions, green parts chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Dash of salt & pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon za’atar
- Heat the grill to medium heat and slice the eggplant into rounds. Rub salt on each side of the eggplant and lay on a baking sheet for an hour. Use a paper towel to pat the eggplant dry and then brush each side of the eggplant generously with olive oil. Sprinkle each side of the eggplant with salt, pepper and za’atar (the za’atar is optional).
- Place the eggplant on the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Flip eggplant and grill until browned on bottom and soft. Let the eggplant cool and then chop into small pieces.
- In a large bowl mix the eggplant with the remaining ingredients and toss lightly to combine.
Tuscan tuna and white bean salad
Total Time: 20 minutes
Perfect for a light lunch or an easy dinner, this Tuscan tuna and white bean salad is made with simple ingredients that will leave you feeling refreshed.
- 4 cups arugula spinach, or other favorite lettuce
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini or Great Northern beans rinsed and drained
- 1 5 ounce can white albacore tuna packed in water drained
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup sliced olives green, Kalamata, or your favourite variety
- Thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons fruity extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl or two smaller bowls, combine the arugula, white beans, tuna, tomatoes, olives and red onion. Drizzle with the olive oil and the juice from the lemon. Toss to combine. Top with crumbled feta cheese and season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper.
Barbecue-roasted Mediterranean vegetables
Total Time: 50 minutes
Enjoy these delightful vegetables with creamy feta and zesty lemon!
- 1/2 x 350g tub marinated feta
- 1 small red capsicum, halved, cut into 8 wedges
4 baby eggplant, halved lengthways
2 small zucchini, quartered lengthways
250g cherry tomatoes
4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1/2 cup mixed marinated olives
4 x 5cm strips lemon rind
8 sprigs fresh oregano, plus extra leaves to serve
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Lemon wedges, to serve
Preheat a barbecue hotplate on high heat.
Drain feta, reserving 1/3 cup marinating oil. Place capsicum, eggplant, zucchini, tomato, garlic, olives, lemon rind and oregano sprigs in a bowl. Add lemon juice and reserved marinating oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
Cut 4 x 50cm pieces of foil. Top each with a 20cm piece of baking paper. Spoon 1/4 of the vegetable mixture onto the centre of each stack. Fold up edges of foil to enclose vegetables, scrunching foil at the top to seal. Place on hotplate. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender and beginning to char.
Place parcels on serving plates. Carefully open (steam will escape from parcels). Sprinkle with feta and extra oregano. Serve with lemon wedges.
Tomato Greek salad with pan-fried feta
Total time: 40 minutes
This simple and easy tomato Greek salad with pan-fried feta is a true delight.
200g Greek feta, halved
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
250g red mini roma tomatoes, halved
200g yellow grape tomatoes, halved
1 green capsicum, diced
1 Lebanese cucumber, diced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
- Pat feta dry with paper towel. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add fetta. Cook for 2 minutes, on one side, or until golden. Remove pan from heat. Stand fetta in pan, without moving, for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, capsicum, cucumber, onion, olives and half the oregano in a large bowl
- Place lemon juice, garlic and remaining oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Add dressing to salad. Toss to combine. Transfer to a serving platter. Arrange fetta, golden-side up, on salad. Serve sprinkled with remaining oregano.
Barbecued salmon with lemon and herbs
Total Time: 4 hours and 15 minutes (10 minutes to cook)
You’ll need to prepare this beautiful salmon recipe a few hours ahead of time, but the wait will be worth it!
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tablespoons small capers, drained, chopped
- 1/3 cup dill leaves, finely chopped
- 1 bunch lemon thyme, roughly chopped
- Sea salt
- 12 x 180g atlantic salmon fillets, skin on
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Combine oil, garlic, 1/3 cup lemon juice, capers, dill and lemon thyme in a large jug. Season with sea salt and pepper. Place salmon, in a single layer, in a large ceramic dish. Pour over half the marinade. Turn salmon over and pour over remaining marinade. Cover. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours to marinate. Remove from fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat a greased barbecue plate on medium-high heat. Barbecue salmon, skin side up, for 3 minutes. Turn and barbecue, brushing occasionally with marinade, for 4 to 6 minutes (depending on thickness) or until just cooked through. Serve with lemon wedges.
Mediterranean grilled chicken & dill Greek yoghurt sauce
Total Time: 22 minutes
This grilled chicken recipe is the perfect Mediterranean-style dish!
FOR THE DILL GREEK YOGURT SAUCE
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill, stems removed
- 1 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
- Pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- Salt, if needed
FOR THE GRILLED CHICKEN
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground green cardamom
- Salt and pepper
- 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium size red onion, sliced
- Juice of 1–2 lemons
- First make the dill Greek yogurt sauce. Combine the minced garlic, fresh dill, yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice and cayenne pepper in a food processor. Run the food processor until all the ingredients are well blended and a smooth thick sauce or dip develops. Test and add salt if needed. Transfer to a small bowl or container, cover and refrigerate.
- In a small bowl, mix together the minced garlic, spices and 3 tbsp olive oil. Pat the chicken thighs dry and rub each with the garlic-spice mixture.
- Place the spiced chicken thighs in a large dish on a bed of sliced red onions with lemon juice and the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil. Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours or overnight.
- When ready, heat a gas grill to medium-high. Place the chicken thighs on the grill. Cover for 5-6 minutes, then turn the chicken over and grill for another 5-6 minutes covered.
- Serve with a side of the dill Greek yogurt dip you prepared earlier.
To complete this light meal, add Greek potatoes or pita bread and a salad.
Grilled whiting with Mediterranean bean salad
Total Time: 25 minutes
Fresh herbs and tangy lemon infuse this fish dish with the flavours of the Mediterranean.
- 400g can mixed beans, rinsed, drained
- 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 3 celery stalks, halved length ways, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 (about 80g each) whiting fillets, skinned
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Combine the mixed and cannellini beans, celery, parsley, onion, vinegar and 1 tablespoon of oil in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Sprinkle the whiting with chilli flakes and season with sea salt. Heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick fry pan over medium-high heat and cook the whiting, in 2 batches, for about 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Divide the fish among 4 plates. Serve with the bean salad and lemon wedges.
Like what you see? For more recipes ideas read here.
Or if it’s vegan recipes you’re after click here.
Australian Outdoor Living is passionate about helping people love their life outdoors. We offer a range of products, including:
- Outdoor blinds
- Artificial grass
- Roller shutters
- Concrete and fibreglass swimming pools
- Timber decking
- Pergolas, verandah and patios
Have you been thinking about renovating your home? Fill out the free measure and quote form at the top of this article and a member of our dedicated sales team will be in touch.