Throughout the last few weeks we’ve been discussing pool safety as it has affected communities everywhere due to recent avoidable tragedies.
So just what are some of the laws?
Australian Outdoor Living’s family leisure pools have a 100mm safety ledge to give your little whipper snappers somewhere they can reach for safety when the going gets tough in the pool.
In addition to this, all our pools have a non-slip finish preventing those little heads from being banged and even keeps the adults in line!
Here’s a snapshot of all the safety regulations:
- All swimming pools must have a continuous safety barrier maintained by the pool owner that restricts access by young children to the pool;
- If you are a property owner and are selling a property with a pool built before July 1993 you must make sure that the safety barrier meets today’s standard for new pools;
- Fencing must be constructed so that the outside fence is an effective barrier to children, it is permanent, young children can’t crawl under or climb over using props, it is at least 1.2 metres high and;
- Any boundary fences used as part of the child-safety barrier are at least 1.8 metres high on either side with a 900mm non-climbable zone, which may be located at the top inside of the boundary fence if it is at least 1.8 metres high on the inside;
- Gates must swing outward from the pool area, be self-closing from any position and fitted with a latching device out of reach of small children at least 1.5 metres above ground level.
It’s important to note these safety features and while having a pool is fun, the warmer weather is still hanging around and it’s easy to get distracted and leave the kids with their mates (they get embarrassed so easily these days!).
For more information on how to keep the pool a safe place, visit kidsafe.com.au
Want To Know More?
Australian Outdoor Living is passionate about helping people love their life outdoors. We offer a range of products, including:
- Outdoor blinds
- Artificial grass
- Roller shutters
- Concrete and fibreglass swimming pools
- Timber decking
- Pergolas, verandah and patios
Have you been thinking about renovating your home? Fill out the free measure and quote form at the top of this article and a member of our dedicated sales team will be in touch.