Here at Australian Outdoor Living we love anything that’s cute and quirky and will enliven our outdoor spaces. Saved by Love Creations is one of our favourite DIY design blogs, with author Johnnie bringing beautiful and unique designs to your own home – and cheaply too!
We recently fell head over heels for her Macramé Mason Jar Hanging Planter and it’s high on our own list of DIY projects for this spring!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Mason Jar
- Masking Tape
- Butane micro torch
- Glass cutter
- Bucket of cold water
Before you get started, you’ll need to cut the jar. This can be a tricky process and you’ll need to be very careful (it is glass, after all!) – Johnnie provides step-by-step instructions on cutting your jars here.
- Cut five pieces of twine, each 1.8 metres long.
- Bring the five pieces together and tie a knot in the middle leaving a loop at the top so you can hang the final product with a chain.
- Tie the pairs of strings together to make five knots about 4 inches down from the big knot you made. Tie all 5 pairs of string into 5 knots, like so:
- Repeat step three one or two times depending how long your planter is. You can insert your jar or other container into the planter to decide if you want another row of knots.
- When you are happy with the number of knot rows, Insert planter and gather the strands at the base of it to see where it’s best to tie your final knot.
- Secure the knot at the base of your planter, insert chain in the top loop of the planter and hang!
- Add your soil, plant and pebbles for a beautiful feature to hang from your verandah or pergola.
For step-by-step, highly illustrated instructions, check out the full article here.
If you’ve got any favourite DIY outdoor decoration ideas, let us know in the comments below. We’re always looking for new outdoor décor ideas to try out ourselves or share with others.
Looking for more inspiration?
The internet is flooded with plenty of inspiring outdoor decor ideas. Check out some of Australian Outdoor Living’s own resource for more tips and inspiration:
- Build your own mosaic table
- Decorate your pergola with these shade-loving plants
- Put one of these outdoor beds in your backyard (you’ll never want to leave!)
- Make your own earth oven or fire pit
- Many of these decor ideas wouldn’t be complete without a verandah or pergola. Check out our huge product range here
- Ready to renovate? Contact us today for a FREE measure and quote!